iPad 2 Support for the Enterprise User
The iPad 2 announcement today could be summed up as faster, lighter, camera-aware, facetiming, and available at the same "low low" price.
The announcement was consumer heavy: lots of info on new cool apps, downloading and sharing content, and making movies. But, we can glean some business applicable features.
So, here's my take from the viewpoint of a business user or enterprise purchasing manager:
- Feeds and Speeds. The iPad 2 is one-third thinner design and weighs 0.2 pounds less than the original iPad. It has a dual-core 1GHz processor, supports both AT&T and Verizon networks, and adds two cameras (front- and rear-facing cameras). There is a personal "wi fi" hotspot that could be helpful for road warriors. Battery life will continue to be 10 hours.
- Price Points. Pricing will be the same as previous models: $499, $599 and $699 for 16GB, 32GB and 64GB Wi-Fi models, respectively. Adding 3G to these models is an extra $130 for each.
- Business Accessories. The best new feature is an $39 HDMI connector cable that allows you to watch full-resolution 1080p video on a TV or conference room projector. This will be great for business presentations.
- What about the "iPad 1"? Apple will continue to sell the prior model at a lower cost of $399 for the 16GB version. This could mean an opportunity for purchasing managers. However, it's not clear if this is a "temporary" clearance sale or if Apple might continue to offer this lower price point. We've seen continued sales for iPhone 3GS, so stay tuned.
- IOS version 4.3 contains updates to support Facetime, which is generally not used in most business environments. In addition, iTunes home sharing and AirPlay will allow users to stream anymusic, movies, and TV shows from an iTunes library on their computer to their Apple device using Wi-Fi.
AirPlay has been opened up in iOS 4.3 to allow third-party apps and Websites to take advantage of full audio and video streaming. This is an interesting new feature that enterprise app developers might find useful as well!