Sep 18, 2013
The 3 C’s of Enterprise Mobility Challenges
What’s holding up mobile apps in the enterprise? The primary challenges of enterprise mobility comes down to three C’s – cost, complexity, and corporate data security. The challenges seem to stem from what Stephen Sinofsky (@stevesi) deems a new era in productivity – what he calls “continuous productivity.” Because the access to data has changed from mainframes to PCs to the cloud, it’s a different business world. Sinofsky writes, “This is such a fundamental shift in the availability of information that it changes everything in how information is collected, shared and put to use. It changes everything about the tools used to create, analyze, synthesize and share information.” With the shift to always-on, always-available data, management of that data cannot depend on “yesterday’s techniques.” While we could dedicate a whole series of posts to data management, we’ll narrow this topic down to the 3 C’s of enterprise mobility challenges. Symantec recently defined how smart companies are finding ways to avoid or at least alleviate the 3 C’s of enterprise mobility in three ways;
- Streamlining the mobile management process
- Minimizing the direct financial costs by enforcing clear mobile employee policies
- Preventing corporate data security breaches by requiring authentication to enterprise mobile apps on all devices
- Start small with workgroups and pilot teams.
- Start at the top – executives should share stories about how company apps help them in the field and in their daily responsibilities.
- Streamline access to apps through an enterprise app store.
- Ensure secure access to apps
- Protect apps and data at the app level
- Provide clear mobile app policies to employees