Apperian Finds 60% of Organizations Are Creating Their Own Mobile Apps to Support Core Business Processes
2015 Enterprise Mobility Report Uncovers Trends in Distribution, Benefits, Hurdles and Adoption of Enterprise Mobile Apps
BOSTON – May 19, 2015 – Apperian® Inc., the mobile application management (MAM®) company, today announced findings from its 2015 Enterprise Mobility Report. Apperian worked with CITO Research to survey more than 300 IT and mobility professionals on the state of their enterprise mobility programs, uncovering their biggest challenges, plans for app development and deployment and their thoughts around creating business value with mobility. Sixty percent of those surveyed had apps created internally, while 35 percent had custom apps created by a third party. In addition, 63 percent purchase apps from a vendor and another 52 percent download enterprise apps from a public app store. While all categories of apps are experiencing growth, Apperian found that internally developed apps are growing the fastest, exhibiting double-digit growth compared to 2014. “It’s a pivotal time for mobility, as industry-leading organizations move beyond the legacy mindset and prepare for a more sophisticated approach,” said Dan Woods, Editor and CTO of CITO Research. “In this era, it is all about the enterprise mobile apps. We hope that this survey informs enterprises looking to take full advantage of the continuing mobile revolution with custom enterprise mobile apps.” Key findings from the survey include:
- Top App Investments – Nearly half of respondents (47 percent) are investing in apps that support core business processes to increase adoption and drive ROI. UI/UX investments rank second, with 43 percent looking to provide a great experience for users.
- Enterprise Mobile App Roll Out – Mobility programs come in all sizes. More than half (52 percent) are already rolling out to more than 2,000 users, while a third (33 percent) are rolling apps out to 1,000 users or fewer.
- Key Benefits – 64 percent of participants cited improved business processes as the top benefit, followed by increased user satisfaction and competitive advantage, which was tied at 60 percent of respondents each.
- Greatest Impact on ROI – Productivity apps, such as note taking and office doc apps, rated the highest. Field service apps, including maintenance and parts inventory apps, ranked second followed by selling, HR and travel apps, respectively.
- Barriers to Mobility – 67 percent of respondents cited security as the top challenge to achieving their mobility goals, followed by the ability to determine ROI (32 percent) and a lack of budget (29 percent).
- App Usage Metrics – Just more than half of respondents (51 percent) are tracking which apps are being used. 48 percent can see who is using them and 42 percent can see how frequently apps are used. The other half of respondents do not have this visibility at all.
“With the growth of apps in the enterprise accelerating, ensuring mobile app security in a way that does not hinder adoption has become a core requirement for mobility management,” said Brian Day, President and CEO of Apperian. “With leading organizations developing mobile apps to gain a competitive advantage and needing to reach 100 percent of potential users, we’re seeing more and more organizations moving away from legacy, device-centric management approaches to an app-centric, best-of-breed approach to mobile app security and management. This is what enables organizations to reach everyone - whether the devices are managed or unmanaged - maximizing return on mobility investments." To hear Dan Woods and Apperian’s CMO, Mark Lorion, share recommendations for enterprise mobility programs based on the results of this survey, sign up for Apperian’s on-demand webinar: https://www.apperian.com/webinar-the-2015-mobile-enterprise-application-survey/. About Apperian Apperian is the leading enterprise-class mobile application management and app store platform for the secure delivery of critical apps to 100% of users across an organization. Apperian provides fine-grained security and dynamic policy controls at the individual app level for deployments where mobile device management approaches are not possible or desired, such as BYOD, contract workers and other unmanaged devices. Apperian's easy to use interface offers a private, branded consumer-like enterprise app store that greatly increases mobile app adoption and a comprehensive app management back-end for administrators to easily protect and manage their business apps and data. The company has helped IT and line of business professionals secure and deliver more than 1.5 million enterprise apps to organizations such as Maxim Integrated Products, NVIDIA, Nationwide, New Balance, and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. Apperian is headquartered in Boston with teams throughout the U.S., Europe, and Asia. For more information please visit http://bit.ly/ApperianLearnMore or follow the company on Twitter at @Apperian and LinkedIn at Apperian, Inc. Media Contact: Sarah Borup SHIFT Communications Apperian@shiftcomm.com