Arxan Launches Customized Assessment to Identify Mobile App Exposures at Gartner Security & Risk Management Summit
Enterprises Can Now Receive a Comprehensive, Complimentary Report within 48 Hours GARTNER Security & Risk Management Summit, National Harbor, MD – June 24, 2014 – Arxan Technologies, the industry-leading provider of software security solutions that protect the App Economy, today announced its signatureMobile App Assessment at the Gartner Security & Risk Management 2014 summit, being held at the Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center in National Harbor, MD, June 23-26. Arxan, author of the annual State of Security in the App Economy Report, has been piloting this new assessment with a number of Global 1000 companies that have stated a need for greater app security intelligence. In the face of ever-increasing mobile adoption and new threat vectors that target the application, mobile leaders seek identifiable and specific information on the surface area of attack. Initial findings from the pilot assessments reveal that apps were exposed to reverse engineering and binary code tampering in 90%+ of the cases. Moreover, in 92% or more of the apps assessed and measured, the level of “Function Name” and “Static Data” protection was low. The exposed static data elements for the majority of the mobile apps assessed were related to sensitive information such as passwords, usernames, account IDs, and cryptographic keys. Such exposures enable hackers to easily target these critical elements in app binaries, which can result in the app and brand being compromised. The risks identified reveal a potentially shaky future for mobile apps if left unprotected. As the Summit serves as a platform for security innovation and intelligence, Arxan’s mobile app security experts will provide enterprise security leaders with this new, customized and complimentary mobile app assessment that identifies unique exposures in enterprise and consumer mobile apps. Those attending the Summit can come by Arxan’s booth (#104) to receive the assessment, which is also now generally available on Arxan’s site to all app developers. Within 48 hours of request, participants on site or online will receive a comprehensive report that measures a mobile app's critical exposures to compromise. Such exposures remain unaddressed, even after traditional app scanning and testing best practices are employed. Specifically, each mobile app will be assessed and measured by Arxan for critical exposures – including, but not limited to:
- Source Code Exposure
- Function Name Exposure
- Static Data Exposure
- Symbol Exposure
- Jailbreak Detection Exposure
- Authentication Exposure
- Cryptography Exposure
- Licensing Exposure
- Payment Exposure
- A demo that highlights how an application’s binary code can be hacked. Arxan experts will discuss some of the new risks associated with app security and show how easy it is for attackers to reverse-engineer and tamper with software code.
- Displays of Arxan’s newest mobile environment-sensing security, such as tamper-resistant jailbreak & root detection, swizzling, hooking function, and additional guards that operate on all major mobile platforms.
- Arxan’s mobile app security is available as a part of IBM's Security Intelligence portfolio.
- Copies of Arxan-authored originals, including The Mobile App Protection Handbook and State of Security in the App Economy Report.
- OWASP’s revised list of Mobile Top Ten Risks, which highlights the need for Binary Code Protection that provide apps with self-defense.
- Detailed white paper on the Threats to Mobile Apps in the Wild.