Leading IT Analyst Firm Provides Roadmap for Enterprise App Stores and Mobile Application Management
New Gartner Research Report, Complimentary From Apperian, Cites Apperian and its Customer, Maxim Integrated Products, for BYOD Strategy
BOSTON – July 30, 2014 – Apperian®, Inc., the leading platform for securing and managing enterprise mobile apps, announced today that the company is offering Gartner’s recent research report, “Use the Mobile App Mix to Choose an Enterprise App Store Strategy,” by Chris Silva and Jason Wong as a complimentary download on its website. The research report maps out a recommended framework for enterprises to secure, manage, deliver, and use mobile apps across a variety of usage scenarios and app types. Maxim Integrated Products, an Apperian customer, uses a mobile application management (MAM) solution to manage and deploy custom and third-party apps in its bring your own device (BYOD) environment. “The market recognizes the importance of an app-centric approach to mobility and that a traditional, device-centric Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) product isn’t necessarily the final answer in all cases,” said David Patrick, CEO of Apperian. “We’re happy that our customer Maxim Integrated Products has been included within the report. We believe they do provide a great example of best practices for BYOD. Maxim Integrated Products’ clearly illustrates the need for mobility within the enterprise and the value that Apperian’s technology delivers in the distribution and management of their enterprise mobile app catalogue.” Additional key findings from the report include:
- Specialized MAM products are strong options across management approaches and constituent groups for an enterprise app store.
- If an investment in EMM has not been made, is not planned or is limited to basic mobile device management (MDM) functions, enterprises should focus their investments on app-centric MAM tools that provide granular controls for app deployment, supply app-specific policies and interface with a wide range of development tools.
- Gartner does not recommend adopting a MADP or EMM product solely for app distribution.
- Many organizations contemplate deployment via Web portal, but this approach requires constant maintenance to update catalogs and integrate with identity and access management (IAM) systems. In deployments with more than a small handful of apps, or complex user groups and roles to manage, this approach is not recommended.
- This constituency [unrestricted users] includes part-time staff, seasonal workers, contractors and partners. An app store for nonemployees may include a smaller set of mobile apps in a managed cooperative to serve these users. A per-app approach to app management and distribution is required, because these personal or partner-owned devices cannot be managed by IT. For example, some EMM or MAM tools offer the ability to place controls at the app level to restrict functions that can lead to data being compromised, such as cutting and pasting from one app to another.
- To download the report for free from Apperian, please visit: http://bit.ly/1wrtAf7
- Apperian: www.apperian.com
About Apperian Apperian is the leading platform for securing, distributing, and managing enterprise mobile apps. With more than one million enterprise apps installed via Apperian since 2009, the company’s cloud-based solution offers a private, branded enterprise app store for users while providing a comprehensive mobile application management backend that helps IT professionals manage the full lifecycle of mobile apps and content. Apperian’s no-touch security and policy engine enables any enterprise app to be safeguarded without requiring code modification or device management software, delivering mobility in diverse enterprise mobility management settings, including supporting BYOD and contingent workers. The company has received numerous industry awards and was named one of the ‘Top Places to Work’ by the Boston Globe and one of the ‘Top Private Companies’ by AlwaysOn and OnMobile. Apperian is headquartered in Boston with teams throughout the U.S., Europe, and Asia. For more information please visit http://bit.ly/ApperianOverview or follow the company on Twitter at @Apperian and follow us on LinkedIn at Apperian, Inc. For additional information, please contact: Katie Ackerman SHIFT Communications email@example.com 617-779-1867