Mobile App Security
Mobile app security refers to the enforcement of access and data protection measures for individual apps. Examples of such app security policies include mobile app VPN, data encryption, corporate authentication, and data wipe. These security policies and others can be applied during app development, later with software development kits (SDKs), or after the app is compiled with app wrapping.
Arxan’s Apperian App Management provides a security layer that protects a critical endpoint – corporate mobile apps and data. Mobile administrators can easily apply security policies to any mobile apps via the mobile application management console without requiring code modifications to app source code. This security framework provides for a fine-tuned environment for app-level security requirements and does not require devices to be under management. Policies are applied through Arxan’s patented app wrapping technology that dynamically protects individual apps, ensuring all users are always in security compliance.
Mobile workers prefer this app security approach because it provides a seamless user experience and does not require personal devices to be enrolled in device management. IT embraces this approach because Apperian works with existing MDM/EMM suites and does not require additional infrastructure.
Mobile App Security Policies
Apperian App Management provides a rich set of mobile app security policies which can be individually applied to any mobile app — without requiring device enrollment.
- Corporate Authentication – Dynamically requires users to enter their corporate credentials before the app will open. This utilizes enterprise integration for SSO (single sign-on)
- Data Wipe – Remotely wipes the data for any app, without requiring MDM technology
- Jailbreak and Root protection – Disables an app from running if it detects the device is in a compromised state
- App Expiration – Allows an app to remain enabled for a predetermined amount of time and disable it from being run
- Runtime Integrity Check – Calculates the checksum of an app at run time and compares it to the checksum from when the app was first imported into Apperian. If there is a mismatch, it means the binary on the device was tampered with and will not run
- Self-updating App – Checks for new versions of an app at run time and prompts the user to update that app ensuring 100% update compliance for a particular app version
- Crash Log Reporting – Captures crash logs and returns them to the mobile administrator without requiring user intervention
- App Usage – Tracks app usage data and provides statistics in an analytic dashboard for mobile administrators
- Data Protection Enforcement – ensures that an app can be used on a device only when its content is secured using Apple’s iOS Data Protection
- Check Location Services – Checks that Location Services are activated under the device’s privacy controls, and also that the application is set to allow access to the device’s location.
Available via integration with 3rd parties:
- Data-at-Rest (DAR) Encryption – Secures data stored by the app without having to encrypt the entire device. The entire app and any local data (sandbox container) are encrypted with FIPS 140-2 encryption and Suite B algorithms, the strongest encryption used by the US government and approved for export.
- Mobile App VPN – Provides a dynamic, app controlled, secure connection from the app to the company’s gateway for authentication and access to backend data. Does not require a management profile or configuration from the user to set up the VPN.
Apperian App Management has also achieved the authority to operate (ATO) from the Transportation Security Agency (TSA).